With so many delicious Christmas dishes to choose from, it can be hard to choose your favorite, right? Could it be honey glazed ham? Mashed potatoes? Pork Loin Roast?
Of course, each household meal varies with regional cuisines and local traditions. It’s beautiful to see the variety and diversity of Christmas dishes prepared right here in the US alone.
Well, with Christmas right around the corner, it’s time to start preparing those delicious Christmas dishes. Which means you better head to your local supermarket for all the key ingredients. You know: turkey, gravy, pie and… hot sauce?
That’s right, it’s 2020 which means that more than just the eggnog is going to need an extra kick. Why not ignite your Christmas night with some spicy options that’ll clean your sinuses (and your soul)?
So, here are some spicy Christmas dishes that are sure to spice up your holidays right!
Spicy Christmas Dish #1: Red Hot Jalapeño Mac’n’Cheese
What better Christmas staple is begging for little spice more than Mac’n’Cheese? This dish is about American as it gets and deserves a spot on everyone’s plate. Of course, America is changing – one could even say it’s becoming… spicier? Why not let the ‘ole Mac’n’Cheese follow suit? Try this Spicy Christmas recipe:
- 1 teaspoon of The Chicago Red Hot Jalapeño Hot Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 3 Tablespoons Jalapeno Pepper (finely minced, may use more depending on spice preference)
- 4 Green Onions (white and light green parts diced)
- 2 Tablespoons Flour
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 cup Whole Milk (may use 2% but whole is preferred)
- 3 cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese (grated)
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt (more if needed for taste)
- 1/2 lb. Elbow, Cellentani, or Cavatappi Pasta
In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add the jalapeno and green onions and saute for 5 minutes, stirring often.
Whisk in the flour and continue to cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring often.
Pour in the heavy cream and whole milk and whisk together. Add cheese, 1 cup at a time, until melted, stirring well after each addition. Let cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring often.
Meanwhile, cook 1/2 pound of pasta according to package instructions. Generously salt the water to ensure the pasta is well seasoned. Once pasta is done cooking, drain well, and combine with cheese sauce.
Serve immediately while warm.
4 tablespoons unsalted butter (2 oz), plus more for the baking dish
Spicy Christmas Dish #2: Mango-Habanero Glazed Ham
We felt it may be a little blasphemous to go after the Turkey, but ham? Well, that’s fair game. People have already been glazing it over for years. Well, this year will be a little different. Why? Because this year’s ham is going to have a hint of heat (not to mention the delicious fruity mango flavors!), which will spice up your Christmas right. Ham straight! Check out the recipe:
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoon minced scallion
- 1 cup drained canned crushed mango in juice
- 2 teaspoon minced seeded habanero
- 1-1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 8- to 10-lb. bone-in butt-end half city ham
- Blend all ingredients, score the ham and lather all over the ham.
- Cover with foil loosely and cook ham per package instructions. Take foil off the last 20-30 minutes. Enjoy!
Spicy Christmas Dish #3: Habanero-Ginger Hard Apple Cider
You’re going to need a nice beverage to top off all this delicious food with, aren’t you? Yes, you are. This year, add a little spice to your cider. Trust us, all of these flavors with blend together beautifully with this beverage, with as much as sweet as there is heat. It’s a truly adult way spicy Christmas recipe.
- 1.5 oz. teaspoon of Small Axe Peppers Habanero Ginger Hot Sauce
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 habanero peppers, sliced thinly
- 2 large strips sliced ginger
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon, for glass rim
- 2 tsp coarse sugar, for glass rim
- 6 oz. apple cider, plus more for glass rim
- 3 oz. dark rum
- Sliced apple, for garnish
In a small saucepan, bring sugar, water, sliced habanero, and ginger to a boil. Once mixture comes to a boil, lower the heat to a simmer and let simmer for about 10 minutes.
Pour simple syrup into a heat-proof jar or container, straining the habaneros and ginger out, and place in the fridge to cool.
On a small plate, mix together cinnamon and coarse sugar. Brush a little apple cider around the rims of your cocktail glasses and dip glasses into cinnamon/sugar mixture. Fill glasses with ice.
In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, add 2 oz. habanero ginger simple syrup, apple cider, and rum. Shake to combine and pour into prepared glasses.
Garnish glasses with an apple slice.
Spicy Christmas Dish #4: Spicy Eggnog
Let’s all just be honest. We all know that hard apple cider isn’t going to be enough, right? Sure, that may get you through Christmas Eve but that’s only half the battle. Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. That’s right, we’ve got a delicious spicy, eggnog recipe that’ll have you dancing your way into 2021. C’mon, what’s a Christmas dish list without this holiday staple?
- 2 large eggs
- 3 ounces superfine sugar
- 3 ounces brandy
- 2 ounces Sailor Jerry spiced rum
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Garnish: grated nutmeg
- 1 oz. teaspoon of Small Axe Peppers Habanero Ginger Hot Sauce
- Beat eggs in blender for 1 minute on medium speed.
- Slowly add sugar and blend for 1 minute.
- With blender still running, add brandy, rum, milk and cream until combined.
- Chill thoroughly to allow flavors to combine.
- Serve in a chilled coupe or wine glass
- Garnish with grated nutmeg.
Looking for that perfect appetizer to serve at your next late spring get together? We were too. However, rather than just googling another recipe, we decided to get creative and experiment with some resources of our own. The end result? A Small Axe original recipe: Spicy Mango Habanero Cheeseball.
This delicious spread is loaded with a sweet heat flavor that goes great with just about any refreshment. So whip up this simple but zesty cheeseball the night before for an easy appetizer or snack. Oh, and it also goes great with bagels.
Spicy Christmas Dish #5: Mango-Habanero Cheeseball
Recipe makes 12 Servings
- 1 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup Small Axe Peppers Mango Sauce Habanero Sauce
- 1/2 cup Monterey Jack Shredded Cheese
- 3/4 cup pecan pieces, finely chopped
Spicy Christmas Dishes #6: Jalapeño Popper Twice Baked Potato
- 2 large baking potatoes
- 1 large jalapeno pepper diced
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese shredded
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup milk
- 3 slices cooked bacon crumbled (or more, as desired)
- Paprika for sprinkling
- Salt to taste
FOR SERVING: Sour cream fresh herbs, crumbled bacon and jalapeno slices and of course Small Axe Peppers Red Hot Jalapeño Sauce
- Bake the potatoes at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes, or until the insides have cooked through and softened. Remove from heat and cool.
- Slice the potatoes in half lengthwise. Scoop out the softened potato and add it to a mixing bowl. Set aside the potato skins.
- Add the jalapeno pepper, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, butter, milk and salt. Stir until the mixture becomes creamy.
- Stir in about half of the crumbled bacon.
- Scoop the mixture back into the potato skins and sprinkle them with paprika. Bake them at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Remove, cool slightly, and serve topped with a bit of extra paprika, sour cream, fresh herbs, extra crumbled bacon and jalapeno slices.
- Smother with Small Axe Peppers Red Hot Jalapeño Sauce!